“Test Not Run” or “Tests inconclusive” error

I was cracking my head wondering why my Nunit tests stopped running out of a sudden and I started getting the incredibly helpful message “Test Not Run” from Resharper until I found out that this problem is very likely to happen when your

app.config or web.config contains errors!

usually a bad format due to bad tag closing or syntax.

if you’re running the full suite rather than individual tests you may get “Tests inconclusive” which is usually related to the same thing. In my case I had a unit test doing a bad write to app.config which was screwing everything up for everyone.

so fix your config file and everything should be back to normal.

Antlr3 runtime exception

If you are getting this exception or something simliar to do with Antlr when trying to run your project from visual studio:

Could not load file or assembly ‘Antlr3.Runtime’ or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))

Then you most likely need to clear your Temporary ASP.Net files folder. You can find it under C:\Windows\Microsoft\[framework version you’re using]\Temporary Asp.Net Files

Just delete everything in there and try again and it should work. It’s just visual studio getting confused. It happens. Often.